Aromatherapy involves the use of essential oils for therapy. The idea behind aromatherapy is for the chemical components from the essential oils to trigger the release of chemicals to make a person react in an intended way, whether that is relaxed, sleepy, etc. There is such a plethora of essential oils that can be used for various uses, but let’s just take a look at five that are great for everyday use as well as massage.
1. Peppermint – has a distinct, energizing scent. It can be used for helping digestion as well as clearing out lung congestion.
2. Lavender – the most widely used essential oil! It is used for muscle pain and headaches as well as a other uses.
3. Lemon – this can be used both in massage and in food/drink. It helps fight viral and bacterial infection, reduces water retention, and when inhaled can reduce blood pressure.
4. Rosemary – can be used in massage and food. It increases energy, helps with muscle pain, and relaxes nerves.
5. Basil – again, can be used in both massage and food! It is a stimulant for the nervous system that can sharpen senses and provide a euphoric feeling.