The Lauterstein-Conway Massage School (TLC) understands that undertaking a new career path can be challenging. In order to support you in making this important decision we have compiled the following list of Massage School (FAQs) Frequently Asked Questions.
TLC Massage School FAQs:
- What are the state requirements to becoming a Licensed Massage Therapist in Texas?
Licensing is obtained by applying with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulations (TDLR). The applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Complete a state-approved 500hr Massage Therapy training program.
- Pass the Massage and Bodywork Examination (MBLEX) administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB)
- Pass the Massage Therapist Jurisprudence Examination
- Submit application, application fee, 500hr transcripts, and exam results.
After obtaining a Massage Therapy License, LMTs are required to maintain their licensure by completing 12hrs of Continuing Education every 2 years.
- How long does it take to complete the 500hr Massage Therapy Program?
We offer both a full-time 6mo accelerated training schedule and a slower-paced part-time 12mo training schedule. The full-time program is perfect for those individuals who have a flexible schedule or work part-time and are able to attend weekday classes. The 12mo program allows students to continue to work full-time while in school and attend evening or weekend classes.
- What is the tuition for the 500 Hour Program? Do you offer financing to assist with tuition costs?
TLC offers affordable education and various payment options. We have no-credit-check financing options available to every student. Click HERE for more information on tuition and paying for massage therapy school.
- What Support Services do you offer students while in school?
Our student’s success is our priority, so we offer a variety of services to help students during their time in school and throughout their career.
For students, we offer both group and one-on-one academic and hands-on technique counseling and tutoring. Student’s also have access to class videos to see and hear class content and massage demonstrations as many times as they like. We also offer a ‘Meet the Employers’ Class where various employers speak to each individual class. While in school, each class you take has been developed to provide students the optimal education, interweaving all aspects of the career to ensure students graduate into exceptional LMTs.
- What Career Services do you offer graduates?
For Graduates, we offer Continuing Education, career counseling, an online job board, and a yearly job fair! Monthly we have 1-3 Continuing Education Classes helping LMT’s continue to grow their education and add additional offerings to their career. Each year we host the only Massage Dedicated Job Fair in Central Texas, and there are constantly updated Austin massage therapy job listings on the online job board.
When you graduate from TLC, you’ll always be a member of our family and we are here to support you in your future endeavors!
- Do you offer a massage therapy internship for students and what are the hours?
Yes, per state law all students are required to complete 50 hours of massage therapy sessions in a supervised setting. The Lauterstein-Conway Student Massage Clinic provides extensive practice in Integrative Massage Therapy techniques while working on a wide variety of clients. At our student massage clinic, students practice their therapeutic, communication, and business skills by working in a professional setting. This helps students build their confidence by gaining real-world experience.
- How long has TLC been training Massage Therapists?
The Lauterstein-Conway Massage School was opened in 1989 by David Lauterstein & John Conway. Their mission has always been to run the school in a manner as healing as the subjects we teach, and to graduate therapists who are professionally successful, therapeutically masterful, and personally fulfilled.
- What experience do your Massage Therapy Instructors have?
All of our instructors are accomplished LMTs with real-world experience as well as a Licensed Massage Therapy Instructors. A vast majority of our instructors are also graduates of TLC, so they have experienced the program as a student as well, which helps them to teach in a way that they know the students will understand and be successful.
- What is the pass rate of your graduates on national board exams? How does that compare to the state and national average?
On average, our school has had an 87.7% pass rate! The national average is 71.9%, and the Texas State average is 62.5%. Needless to say, we’re very proud of our students!