The Lauterstein-Conway Massage School (TLC) understands that undertaking a new career path can be challenging. In order to support you in making this important decision we have compiled the following list of Frequently Asked Questions. If you do not find what you are looking for, please feel free to contact us directly with additional questions regarding the 500 Hour and 250 Hour Advanced Program Massage Therapy training taught here at The Lauterstein-Conway Massage School.
- How long have you provided your TLC 500 Hour Massage Therapy Program and 250 Hour Advanced Massage and Clinical Bodywork programs?
The Lauterstein-Conway Massage School began in 1989. We began with 650 hours when the state law required only 250. We expanded our programs to 750 hours in the early 1990’s.
- Why do you offer 2 Programs, the 500-hour and the 250-hour Advanced Program?
After 29 years of refining our curriculum every year, our 500 Hour Massage Therapy Program prepares students to pass the licensing exam (MBLEx). But we knew and many of our graduates knew there is always more to learn and we have provided that as well since our beginning.
We are proud to offer the only program in the U.S. that includes all these topics – certifications in Orthopedic Massage and Deep Massage, interwoven with important advanced modalities and knowledge – including Shiatsu, Zero Balancing, and Psychology of Bodywork.
- What is the tuition for the 500 Hour Program? 250 Hour Advanced Program?
- Do you offer financial assistance?
Yes. We do offer a variety of payment options including a zero credit check option. Please contact our Admissions department at 512-374-9222 x 14 or email@example.com for help determining how you can make the cost of school the most affordable for your situation.
- What is accreditation?
Accreditation is obtained when a school asks to be evaluated by a 3rd party group to be able to offer federal financial aid to their students and is found to meet at least their minimum standards. In that evaluation process accredited schools need to report on graduation and job placement rates in order to secure that federal funding. Accreditation does not determine whether or not you can get a license in any state, nor is it necessarily an indicator of the school’s quality.
- What experience do your instructors have?
Co-Directors David Lauterstein and John Conway have both been teaching massage for over 30 years. Our teachers have, on average, over 10 years experience as professional massage therapists. Every one of our instructors has experience teaching Swedish massage, sports massage, orthopedic massage, deep tissue and Deep Massage – Lauterstein Method, and body mobilization techniques, in addition to applied anatomy, kinesiology, physiology, and pathology.
- What is the pass rate of your graduates on national board exams? How does that compare to the state and national average?
In 2018 TLC had over 155 graduates take the MBLEX exam. 87.7% passed, surpassing the Texas state average by 25.2% and surpassing the national average by 13.6%
- What support services do you offer students while in school?
TLC offers both group and one on one academic and hands on technique counseling and tutoring. Plus, TLC offers all of our students the opportunity to view class videos through our password protected website, where you can see and hear class content as many times as you like. We also include numerous classes in our program to help our students pass the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Exam. Private Teaching Sessions are required so that students may receive firsthand feedback about the quality of their work. Two Private Teaching Sessions (PTS) will be scheduled with one or more of the faculty members.
- What Career Services do you offer graduates?
TLC offers an online job board with employers looking for LMT’s, a job board in the student lounge posting the most current positions available, a ‘Meet the Employers’ Class where various employers speak to each individual class. We are also the only school in Texas that has, for 10 years, held for our students and graduates, a free Job fair attended by over 30 employers. We also offer free one-on-one counseling for students if desired.
- Do you offer internship for students and what are the hours?
Yes, per state law all students are required to do 50 hours of internship. Students practice their therapeutic, communication, and business skills by working on the public in a supervised context. The internship is an extremely useful preparation to becoming a therapist, as we learn best by doing. Lauterstein-Conway has an innovative internship in which you get extensive practice in Swedish, Sports, and Deep Massage therapy while working on a wide variety of internship clients.
- Do you offer Community Service/Volunteer Opportunities to students wanting to gain real world experience while still in school?
As students approach 250 hours of study they will be responsible to participate in 6 hours of Community Service. These Community Service Hours are performed at various locations and events geared towards expanding the student’s knowledge of the therapeutic and marketing techniques acquired in the first half of the training.
TLC participates in some Austin’s biggest and best charitable events and festivals where we provide Chair Massage and give back to the community.
- Why does The Lauterstein-Conway Massage School enjoy the reputation of being one of the best schools in the U.S.?
- We were founded by visionary educators., still involved in the day to day running of the school.
- Our Mission:
- To run the school in a manner as healing as the subjects we teach.
- To graduate therapists who are professionally successful, therapeutically masterful, and personally fulfilled.
- We truly care.