Traditional Thai Massage with James Peckham
Saturday-Sunday, April 25-26, 2020
$295 early registration before March 25, $350 after
In this introductory class, participates will learn to give an 80-minute Thai Massage on a mat on the floor, with clients, clothed and without oils or lotions. Learn to use therapeutic Thai techniques including deep, broad muscle compression with feet and knees and stretches and pressure points to help clients and save the therapists' own bodies. In class, we will learn to assess each client and adapt the basic Thai sequence to meet their elemental imbalances and improve the well-being of the body, mind and spirit. We work with the clients in supine, sidelying, prone, inverted and sitting positions.
Additionally, we will briefly discuss the unique history of Thai Massage, as the bodywork component of traditional Thai medicine. Thai medical theory - including element theory, "sen" theory, five layers, three aspects, 32 body parts, "kwan," Wind gates and release points.
Students will be introduced to other Thai physical therapies such as herbal compresses, balms, liniments, Thai fire cupping, scraping and "tok sen," but will not use them in class.
The class will be nearly all hands-on and guaranteed to be a fun and inspiring addition to your massage practice.
- The basic origins of traditional Thai Massage
- A brief introduction to Thai medical theory
- How to perform a traditional Thai massage session
- Optimal body mechanics while standing, kneeling, sitting or squatting
- How to apply techniques using the therapists feet, knees, hands and forearms
- How to customize a session for clients
- How to work slowly as we work more deeply